Monday, March 30, 2009

"We'll See"

The two most powerful words I know are "we'll see."Any successful parent ( and by successful I mean ' still standing') knows that the first rule of parenthood is to NEVER COMMIT TO ANYTHING. Delayed disappointment always trumps immediate disappointment and works to our advantage in myriad ways.

In our house there are three levels of "we'll see":

1. we'll see---the general, non chalant answer (given only so they will think you are listening) in response to basic questions such as
Can we have Tootsie Pops for breakfast? (we'll see.)
Can we have a sleepover? (we'll see.)
Can we watch CSI Miami? (we'll see.)
If all the stars and planets align perfectly AND I am feeling particularly generous that day and/or exceptionally lazy, this "we'll see" sometimes, OCCASIONALLY, morphs into a disgruntled yes. Off the record, of course.

2. We'll See---A level 2 response, given when the odds of me acquiescing are slimmer than the chance of me fitting back into my high school jeans (pun intended) but more probable than the chance of me cleaning my baseboards any time soon, usually given in response to queries such as
Can we get out the poster paints? (We'll See.)
Can we build a fort out of every blanket/pillow/couch cushion in the house? (We'll See.)
Can we make sugar cookies? (We'll See.)

3. WE'LL SEE--This is where, as Rich says, we "BRING DOWN THE HAMMER." This "WE'LL SEE" means, technically, that over MY COLD DEAD BODY WOULD I EVER LET YOU DO THAT but of course, we never let the children in on this secret. This special response is reserved for delicate requests such as
Can you take us swimming at the Legacy Center in January? (WE'LL SEE.)
Can we decorate the Christmas tree by oursevles this year? (WE'LL SEE.)
Can we rent Free Willy 3 again? (WE'LL SEE.)

The beauty of the "we'll see" plan is that it's not saying yes, it's not saying no---it's just a crafty way of delaying your answer until hopefully the children forget the original request or else behave just badly enough for you to blame them, i.e. " I was going to let you have Tootsie Pops for breakfast tomorrow (etc) but now that you've doorbell ditched your own house all afternoon I can't let you. Remember, there are consequences in this house for certain behavior, mister."

It's foolproof!











4 comments:

Angee said...

I LOVE this tactic. Use it all the time. You really should teach a parenting class somewhere. You know, the type of parenting class you really need where they teach you tricks like saying, "we'll see"...

Heather said...

Love this tip! I can't wait to try it out on my piano kids...

Jayne said...

I find myself using those words all the time. My kids just assume that anytime I use them it means No. Jarrett even told me this the other day in a I've-figured-you-out-tone. AAhhh! Now what?

Unknown said...

Ok, Kelly, you probably already know this, but I'm going to tell you anyway! RASCAL FLATTS NEW ALBUM IS COMING OUT ON TUESDAY! (April 7th!)AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I'm so excited!
-Kenz