Friday, January 18, 2013

39

I love birthdays. Mine was extra wonderful this year. 

I loved my presents: One Direction music from my kids (don't judge), some lotion, 2 watches, a movie and some books, treats, a Kohl's gift card, sewing scissors and the best ever--a heated mattress pad (think electric blanket but a million times cozier) from Rich. I may never leave my bed the rest of the winter. It is so awesome.

I also got to eat JCWs with my favorite people. Can you have too many french fries and onion rings on your birthday?
I love love loved all the calls/texts/messages wishing me happy bday. I love that my 13 year old was the first to say it to me (technically Rich beat him, so I guess he was the first of my offspring to say it to me).

I also enjoyed a few birthday lunches (on different days, not multiple lunches on the same day), a movie date to Les Mis with Eva (I cried from beginning to end and am convinced it is the best.story.ever.written.) And I have a few more gatherings with friends in the upcoming weeks and days that I am so looking forward to.

The best part of my birthday? Feeling the love and kindness of friends.  I truly love people. I wish I could be friends with everyone I meet. I would adopt so many of you as sisters or aunts or cousins or distant relatives. Because I am so insecure and literally worry constantly that I will say or do the wrong thing and then people won't like me (wow--that was a bit too much information), kindness and thoughtfulness from other people always touch me in a way I can't even put into words. I'm just so grateful to people who can see beyond all my flaws and foot-in-mouth situations and insecurities and weaknesses and somehow still seem to think I'm somewhat okay. This is why I love birthdays--you get to feel special and loved on your special day (what am I, six?).

In thinking about birthdays and people and relationships and especially friendships,
I collected these quotes during my reading this morning:

  • When dealing with others, always assume "nobility of intent."
  • "Be the living expression of God's kindness: kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm greeting." (Mother Theresa)
  •  You and I cannot possibly know the hidden pain eating holes in individual lives, so if we want to be saviors in partnership with the Lord, we will be kind to everyone, everywhere, all of the time.
  • Take the opportunity TODAY to acknowledge, support, and extend kindness to everyone you encounter. Be open, respectful, and interested.
  • "There isn't anyone you couldn't love once you've heard their story." (Mary Lou Kownacki)

I feel so grateful to Heavenly Father for the friends he has blessed me with. I learn so much from everyone within my circle, and I love you all. Deeply. I hope and pray I can implement these quotes DAILY in my own circle (if I can just pull myself out of my cozy bed). If I could be that  kind of friend to everyone I meet, that would be the best birthday gift ever! (Especially if I could start within my own family!)


No comments: