Monday, January 14, 2013

Cougs, Jazz, and Kings

We had us some volleyball fun at the BYU Men's home opener. Gotta love those pass-of-all-passes! We were thrilled to watch BYU beat Hawaii easily, enjoyed some stale fruit snacks from the concession stand, and congratulated ourselves for getting out of the house in the barely-above-zero-degree weather.

Evidently the volleyball action was so exciting we somehow barely had time to catch this wonderful portrait. Not sure if the red cheeks were from the stale fruit snacks or the sub-freezing temps, but I sure love my red-cheeked friend, who somehow thinks he is turning FOUR this week.

Since the volleyball game was such a hit we thought we'd try a Jazz game too. We were really stoked about the amazing deal we got on tix until we actually found our seats, at which point we realized why they were so heavily discounted, but hey, it's still a Jazz game, and they still won.

Of course ice cream at half-time makes up for the worst seats in the building.

Also, I'd like to make a public apology to the people sitting right by us at the Jazz game: I'm sorry we had to leave our seats 17 times that night and walk over and around you and step on your toes. That's how Sam rolls, and we're with him.


We're in full basketball mode at the King house:



In an attempt to really focus on and improve my photography skills this year, I forced myself to take in manual mode at the boys' games on Saturday, not an easy feat considering the horrible lighting at the legacy center and Lehi High School and the fact that you can't use flash as it distracts the players.  But it ended up that I was greatly encouraged with the results and really happy because I learned so much. I set my ISO to between 2500 to 3200 and used a 1/200 shutter speed, although I tried multiple settings and am still not sure which ones I like the best. I have so far to go, but at least I'm going, right?




(On a side note, Ben scored 17 of his team's 27 points in Saturday's game, even though they lost. He's number 15.)


And what else you ask? It's birthday week around here, and Sam and I are so excited. Here's to presents, cake, more and better pictures, and celebrating in lots of big and small ways.

1 comment:

Angee said...

I LOVE volleyball. I have never seen BYU mens but I'm thinking I should.

As for the Jazz, we've only ever had nosebleed seats so my kids don't know any difference. :)

I would love to hear about your manual indoor picture taking. I would like to take some pictures of Kenz running indoor and Mason playing futsal indoors. Did you put it on manual manual or did you put it on shutter speed and then adjust your ISO? So many questions...