Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Lists

You may or may not know that I have totally unrealistic expectations in life. This is the source of nearly all of my stress. I've tried (and continue to try) to learn ways to relax more, expect less, be more laid back, etc.----but for the most part I remain over-stressed and uptight and focused on being productive,productive, productive. I live by the principle that if I just try harder I can get everything done. Any ideas to help me?

Today I made THE LIST. You know, the LIST OF THINGS I MUST ABSOLUTELY GET DONE BEFORE THIS BABY IS BORN. Here's what I jotted down:
  • Buy baby clothes, bottles, and other baby gear
  • Buy a stroller
  • Buy a carseat
  • Buy a crib
  • Paint the baby's rooms
  • Paint Cassidy's new room
  • Paint the boys' new room
  • Buy bedding for B & G
  • Plan G's B-day party
  • Plan C's B-day party
  • Anniversary?
  • Fall yard clean up
  • Fall family pictures/Christmas cards
  • Neighbor gifts
  • Teacher gifts
  • Clean out garage
  • Plan halloween craft for Ben's class party
  • Preschool calendar
  • Clean all blinds in the house
  • Fix sliding glass doors

Then here I had to start a whole new list, the dreaded WHAT I WILL BE MAKING AND GIVING TO EVERY PERSON I KNOW FOR CHRISTMAS LIST, followed by the FUN FAMILY ACTIVITIES TO DO FOR HALLOWEEN, THANKSGIVING, AND CHRISTMAS LIST, followed by the DECORATIONS TO GET OUT FOR EACH HOLIDAY LIST, followed by the HOW TO SIMPLIFY MY LIFE LIST, followed by the THINGS I SHOULD BE DOING WITH THE KIDS LIST, followed by the.......Get the picture?

Of course, this all was just a rought draft. Over the next several days I will think everything over and begin revising, adding more and more to THE LIST. And you know what? I actually think I will be able to get everything done! I figure I only need about $5000 and 7 years or so and I could probably do it all.

Any words to the wise out there? Any medication anyone wants to share? Or better yet, any LISTS you want to share? I love lists.......

7 comments:

Angee said...

Kelly, I LOVE your posts. You are an amazing writer (check that off your list) and have the greatest sense of humor (another check).

After reading you lists I began to stress out. :) My list is the WHAT I SHOULD HAVE DONE WITH THE KIDS BUT DIDN'T BECAUSE I JUST WANTED TO DO SOMETHING ELSE THAT DIDN'T ACCOMPLISH ANYTHING.

My advice? Don't have any. I've learned to just not do all the stuff, but then you have a house like mine and neighbors that don't like you because you don't do Cmas gifts and teachers that don't want Draper kids because they don't give gifts and kids that go around in diapers because they don't have any clothes that fit. (Although I have yet to find a teacher that really cares about the $5-$10 gift.)

I will give you 2 words - Good Luck. I'll add 2 more - You're great!

Heather said...

I also have no advice for you, because (as you know) I am on the opposite end of the stress zone. You are amazing, though, to even conceive of all of the things on the lists you shared, let alone all of the other lists you have floating around!

Kristy said...

Jamin dreads when I pull out my clipboard on Sunday night after we put the kids to bed because it means that I am starting another list for the next week. The thing I love about lists is I can mark things off and feel a sense of accomplishment. So I put things on my lists that I know will be marked off so I can feel good about myself. Example, Hiram Preschool, Cilisia playgroup, laundry, cleaning, FHE, etc.

Do you want my list of things to do before winter? That could start next week but here it is:
Paint house letters
fertilizer
attic leaks
insulation
front gutter
edge around garden
Railroad ties out
Garden turned over
door painted
door frames painted
cement caulked
cars washed & vacuumed
tree out
paving stones finished

I have an idea. . . how about you work on my list and I'll work on yours. :) Good luck!

kacee said...

I am a little stressed after reading that! I love lists too - I like to put the little things that will get done anyway on them just to be able to cross something off when I only accomplish the minumum. Makes me feel a little better :)

I have a crib and changing table in storage...you want to borrow it you can cross that off your list(I have no plans for it in the near future!)

sweet pickles said...

I really need to get your e-mail so I can invite you to my blog so I don't feel like a cheater when I look at yours.

Such a great post! If you find any answers, please do share them.

Maddy and Amber said...

I died laughing when I read this post Kelly. I didn't think there was anyone out there as anal as I am but I think I've met my match. I have mellowed out a bit since Josh was born. I just figured WHO CARES if I get all these things done right now. So, sit back, relax and enjoy life. Love ya!

Angee said...

I want to see some farm pictures...b