Friday, August 20, 2010

Popsicle smiles



Even though summer is not officially over, the start of school and the cooler temps remind me of its elusiveness.
I wish you could stay forever, favorite season of mine, but as you yield to your three siblings (fall-winter-spring) I will carry with me these mementos:

popsicle smiles
dirty bare feet
the smell of freshly cut grass
the smell of sunscreen
the smell of chlorine
the smell of tomato plants
dripping swim suits and towels hanging on the back porch
the sound of doors slamming repeatedly as children rush in and out
the oft-repeated refrain: "Close the door--the air conditioner is on!"
dirty hands from pulling weeds (and weeds and more weeds)
sweaty boy head smell (if you have boys you know what I mean)
late bedtimes
a house full of kids
painted toe nails
never wearing socks
no homework
dressed by 10, breakfast at 10:30 (cinnamon toast, if you must know)

Do I need to send a formal request to the Indians (Native Americans) to order an Indian Summer? How, exactly, does that work?


And a few more popsicle smiles for the road....



1 comment:

Angee said...

What a fantastic post. Great pictures as well. I have a friend who is Navajo. Perhaps we can ask her to help us order an Indian Summer because I think that is a fantastic idea. :)