Saturday, July 19, 2008

Balsam Campground
























Whew! We spent three fun-filled (and bug-filled) days at Balsam Campground up Hobble Creek Canyon. We had a blast playing in the creek that runs right through camp. The water was frigid but that didn't stop us from falling in (accidently, of course) as we jumped rocks and logs and got our feet stuck in "stinking mud", as the kids called it! We also took a great hike in the backcountry to a beautiful waterfall. We saw many snakes this trip, but (alas) no bears or mountain lions. I think the kids' favorite part of any camping trip is A)giggling in the tent as they try to fall asleep and B)having their own cans of soda for every meal and C)finding "fire sticks" to light on fire every night around the campfire. What will we remember most about this trip? ..............Garrett "accidently" dropping his finger splint in the pit toilet.......Cassidy getting her hair stuck in the tent zipper and not being able to get it out......Dad and Grandpa being gone for 5 hours in the jeep on "back" roads........Feeding Alvin,Simon, and Theodore Cheetos everyday after lunch.

3 comments:

Angee said...

Fabulous pictures of course! I love the one with you and the kids on the log. I so need to talk to you about this trip. Did G really drop his "cast" in the pit toilet? That will just add to your fear of those smelly bathrooms. I would love to hear directions to the hike unless there were snakes there. I'm not a snake fan.

I guess I just need to actually talk to you. Kudos for getting this post up in record time...

Jayne said...

I'm so impressed with you getting back on Saturday and having your post done the same day. I'm so behind. I was laughing picturing Cass with her hair stuck! I'm so sorry :)
What did you end up doing for food? I'll talk to ya, cause I need some ideas for this weekend.

kacee said...

What an adventure!

That cast of Garret's is nothing but trouble - hope you left it there! ;)