Sunday, July 5, 2009

Scout Falls




Last Saturday found us on an impromptu trek up American Fork Canyon to Scout Falls.


Here is the happy couple, after a visit to the pit toilets but before we headed up the mountain.
(If they read this post they will be less than happy at being called the "happy couple".)

Here is the happy drooler, after his nap up the mountain but before he decided to cry all the way down.


There was plenty of shade, plenty of rocks to throw, plenty of streams to ford, and plenty of "Garrett get away from the edge of the mountain" being yelled.





There were also plenty of granola bars, cheese sticks, PB&J's, and apples, but apparently not enough cookies, Gushers, or wet wipes (note to self).


My favorite part of this hike was playing the "opposite" game with the kids. When whining and complaining get out of control, I pull out this handy rule: You must say the exact opposite of what you are feeling and thinking. So, when we got tired and hot and thirsty and wanted to turn back, we would say things like: "I am so freeeeezing cold, it's like being in Antartica! I am so glad I just drank that ice cold soda, that was so refreshing! I could walk another 1000 miles--I feel so full of energy! I'm so glad we chose a long hike today--I hate short ones. Shorts ones are for wimps!" Anyway--you get the idea. And just for the record, we play the opposite game a lot in our family, and actually we need to play it even more!











4 comments:

The Gardner Family said...

I LOVE the idea of the opposite game. Does it really work? I see that being a fun thing the first time I "come up" with the idea. Anyway, looks like so much fun! Your kids have the best smiles!

Heather said...

Sounds like another fabulous family activity! I cannot believe how grown up the happy couple are in their picture. Seriously, they are getting so big.

Debra said...

Oh Kelly, you are so stinkin' creative! I am so going to steal the opposite game from you. I love it and, as I'm sure you know from all of the screaming that you hear from my house,... it would do our family good :)

kacee said...

That blue eyed baby boy...sheesh! He's beautiful!

I'm gonna steal your game too - just might get us through the summer!