Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Shh! It's a Cecret.



On a Saturday in July we headed up Little Cottonwood Canyon for a beautiful hike to a place called Cecret Lake. Evidently those who discovered this little gem hundreds of years ago were more adventureres than intellectuals and the misspelling of the name continues to this day.


It was cool and beautiful up in the mountains, away from the smog and heat of the valley.

The trail head begins right above Alta, so we got up close and personal with their chair lifts and....


SNOW! 


There were all the components of a great hike---streams to ford, rocks to climb, siblings to tease, and tons and tons of beautiful scenery:



There were fields and fields of Forget-Me-Knot, Columbine, and Indian Paintbrush in full bloom.

The best part about this "Cecret" hike is that the lake truly remains a secret, until you scramble over rocks for the last 1/4 mile and crest the ridge, and then you see this:



The lake was so clear, you could see down to the bottom.

We ate a little lunch and marveled at our newly discovered "Cecret".

Samuel found the whole thing quite hysterical and..

eventually gave it up on the way down. All that hiking just tuckered him out!

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

I'm so impressed with all your hiking adventures. I'd like to do more of it but my husband despises hiking. I am not ready to tackle it on my yet with the littles. I might just have to take the plunge though. Can you suggest any super easy hikes to get us started?

Heather said...

What a great adventure! I love that you filled us in on the "cecret."

klunker said...

gorgeous!

Angee said...

I'm so glad you did this hike. It is one of the top 3 on my list of best hikes ever. I think you should add the last family picture somewhere on your sidebar or something. I love it! And the flowers - breathtaking...