Saturday, September 26, 2009

Corny, but peachy

Although the title to this post could actually describe many things in my life (my wardrobe, my taste in music), it actually refers to our harvest this year.

We grew corn for the first time ever, and we were actually quite successful. We only had room to plant 4 rows of about 8 plants each, but we yielded about 20 ears. Except for the fact that the kids (well, me too) fought over who got to eat them, it was a good experience. There's something about growing corn that makes you feel like a farmer (corny, I know).


We also grew this peach.....and the peaches she's holding. We have a FABULOUS Lemon Elberta that produces like crazy. We ate all we could, gave away almost half, and still canned 54 quarts. I was really feeling proud of my 54 quarts until 2 friends in my ward told me how they canned over 150 quarts. Over-acheiver peachers.


3 comments:

Angee said...

Well, my 0 quarts and their 150 quarts averages out to only 75, so I think you're only slightly behind. :)

We are very thankful that you didn't can the peaches that were given to neighbors. Your generosity was delicious...

Heather said...

Wow! You are an amazing gardener -- and I think you got plenty of quarts. Lots to be proud of.

Jayne said...

I love how your insults sound like compliments! If only I could be that talented :)