Thursday, March 18, 2010

Spring, Parenting Books, and More Birthday Pics

I really was trying to come up with a clever way to tie all of these topics together, but alas, they were too varied. In any event......



Spring is here (at least momentarily) and I find myself GIDDY at the thought of weeding, THRILLED to see worms in the soil, and DELIRIOUS to see the children in something other than their winter attire. Please, PLEASE stay, Spring.....


To change the topic, I read a lot of parenting books. A lot. I have to mention one here that I think EVERY PARENT SHOULD GO GET IMMEDIATELY. The concepts were simple, gospel-based (without meaning to be ) and they actually work.  Ten Days to a Less Defiant Child  by Jeffrey Bernstein is an excellent resource. I love having new tricks up my sleeve to use  in my quest to coexist peacefully with my children! I wish I could put in print all the positive experiences I'm having using these techniques, but occasionally my children read this blog and well, I wouldn't want to give away any of my secrets!


Now to pictures from Ben's birthday celebration....



 We have a tradition of going to Olive Garden in Orem to celebrate Ben's birthday and our Grandma's, which is the day before Ben's. We love the salad and breadsticks so much we usually end up taking the entree home with us. Which makes lunch the next day pretty exciting.

I'm not sure if they are scrutinizing the cake or blowing out candles. (Skor candy bar cake, if you must know).

Ben scored a new Hyper-Dash game from one Grandma and a 

gift card to Fanzz from the other Grandparents.Too bad he's not into sports or anything...



We also have the tradition of letting the children choose between a party with their friends or $50. Ben has always chosen the money. To spice things up, we sent him on a treasure hunt around the neighborhood to find the loot. The 11 clues were all written in rhyming verse, a fact which I'm sure was lost on our son.
He also scored a new in-ground basketball hoop from his mom and dad, but it hasn't arrived yet. More pics to come when it does.



1 comment:

Jennifer said...

He is a smart kid, I would choose the money too. I will have to check out that book.