Saturday, May 31, 2008

Timp Cave




Whew! We actually made it all the way to Timp cave and back down again today. The weather was perfect for the 1100 vertical feet climb, and the caves were amazing. This was our first time, and judging by our sore muscles it may have been our last (just kidding). The scenery was beautiful and the kids especially enjoyed the giant mountain of snow near the top. I even managed to put a snow ball down the back of Ben's shirt and then threatened to ground him for a week if he retaliated (being mom has its perks). Fortunately for us and all the other hikers at the cave today, Garrett played at Grandma's house, and we were glad not to have all 45 pounds of him in the back pack. Despite many attempts, neither B or C managed to fall off a cliff, and C's hands have the bruises to prove how tightly I held on to her. (What is it about sheer cliffs and children that brings out the mother bear in me?) We had a fabulous time, the kids are amazing hikers, and Rich even bought CR (parental code lingo for Cafe Rio) AND sodas for everyone for dinner. It might have been my perfect day!

3 comments:

Angee said...

What great pictures! Love the couple one. Seriously, that's a rare happening. At least around here. Did Ben take it for you?

We've been to the cave once, about 9 years ago and I still remember the hike being way to vertical to do again within a decade. You guys are awesome! I can't imagine carrying a 45 pound backpack up that. Phew.

And look - you posted already. Amazing...

Jayne said...

Kelly that sounds like a great time! I have yet to make it up to Timp Cave. Someday I'm sure I'll get there.

kacee said...

I had great memories of doing that hike as a kid. Then we took Adi {age 3} and Luke {6months} - I thought I was gonna die!

Glad you got your family hike in!