Saturday, May 3, 2008

Women's Conference

Women's Conference at BYU this year was so inspiring and wonderful. A million thanks to the most wonderful friends in the world---E, I, T, and H for not being embarassed to be seen in public with me! Thanks to I for helping out with parking ("We're in portal F, row 20"), thanks to T for getting us in shape to run a marathon , thanks to H for taking care of those "end of life issues" and to E for making sure everyone now knows her middle name. You guys are the best! Here's the short list (ha) of the many wonderful things I learned:
  • Think of your life as a ministry. Why has the Lord put you where you are today?
  • Disappointments don't change the doctrine
  • It is easier to motivate someone to do something hard than something easy. Excellence is inspiring.
  • It's not about what you do or don't do. It's about becoming holy.
  • Ask the Lord to teach you
  • Choose one thing to work on this week--just one
  • Walk away from the world
  • "We did not come to this earth to gain our worth. We brought it with us"--Sister Kapp
  • Don't complicate the gospel
  • How will you account for what you did with the priviliges you were given?
  • Where you are weakest, put forth your best effort
  • There is no "they". There is only you.
  • The pioneers did not cross the plains or bury their children so we could have better shopping malls. Think about it.
  • There is so much work to be done, but it is not fancy.
  • Put your strength towards the things that are uniquely yours to do.

I feel very humbled and inspired after listening to so many wonderful speakers. I want to make changes in my life and work towards holiness. I have a long, long way to go, but with the Lord's help I know it is possible.

1 comment:

Angee said...

I'm so jealous. Looks like you girls had tons of fun. I'll have to get the movie review later. It's great to have friends like that and a great all day babysitter. I'm sure that only happens once in awhile so I'm glad you could take advantage.